Characterizing FCD Performance
C-FER Technologies has designed and built an unique apparatus called the ICD Characterization Loop. It is the only one of its kind in the world. Using this flow loop C-FER can test the true system hydraulic performance of FCDs under real-world thermal operating conditions. We can simulate single-phase testing (with oil, water or nitrogen), multiphase testing (with combinations of oil, water, and gas) – as well as thermal operating conditions including unsaturated, low subcool, saturated, and multiphase testing using water, steam and Non Condensable Gases (NCGs). C-FER can determine how FCDs will perform in operators’ wells, and FCD Vendors where their technology can be best deployed (and potentially how it can be improved). C-FER sets the Industry Standard for thermal FCD testing.
Using the ICD Characterization Loop together with other in-house capabilities (such as our ICD Erosion Apparatus), C-FER can test the long-term performance of FCDs over their whole operational life. Understanding the reliability and longevity of FCD technology is key, especially in a challenging environment such as SAGD.
Other Areas of Expertise
As an independent applied research laboratory, C-FER can offer solutions to many different groups:
- ICD Vendors: contact C-FER and ask about how we can help you test and optimize your technology
- SAGD (or thermal) Operators: contact C-FER and ask about:
- how you can find out which FCD is best for your thermal asset
- how you can possibly interact with some of our Industry partners (other SAGD Operators) and engage in shared learnings and active collaboration
- Anyone who’s interested in understanding more about the benefits of FCDs for SAGD: contact C-FER for more information